We’re all here for a common goal – to flip the House in 2018 and put a check on the GOP agenda. Two basic rules will help ensure a positive, sustainable collaboration:
1. Respect everyone
- Respect the local wisdom of volunteers who live in swing districts. We want to support the work of partner organizations and organizers inside swing districts and learn what issues are most relevant to each community.
- Respect volunteers who come from outside swing districts – they have valuable contributions to make.
- Respect the fresh energy and ideas of political newcomers just now joining.
- Respect the expertise of political veterans who have spent years (or decades!) organizing for progressive causes.
- Respect voters who disagree with us. Rude arguments won’t help us win.
(If you see any abusive behavior towards volunteers or voters, please let Swing Left leaders know immediately; we will not tolerate it.)
2. Respect everyone’s time
- Be focused. There are many valuable ways to resist this administration, defend our values, and fight for progressive change. Swing Left, however, is completely focused on winning back the House. If you want to promote events or groups that are not tightly focused on that goal, please use your Slack’s #random channel. Also: Swing Left is not the place to debate which primary candidate is best for Congressional seats. There are many other channels to argue and support a particular primary candidate; in our community we’ll stay unified in supporting whoever becomes the Democratic nominee.
- Be clear and concise. Take time to edit your communications, especially when writing to a group. Try to avoid sarcasm, which often doesn’t translate to online communications.
- Be responsible. Don’t overcommit or burn out – we’re in a marathon. If you commit to something and later realize you won’t be able to complete it on time (as occasionally happens to us all), don’t feel guilty, but tell your coordinator or team as soon as possible.
When in doubt, just ask
- Slack/community questions: slackhelp [at] swingleft.org
- Partnership questions: partnerships [at] swingleft.org
- Press and media questions: press [at] swingleft.org
- Technical questions and support: techsupport [at] swingleft.org
- Research questions: districtresearch [at] swingleft.org
- All other questions: team [at] swingleft.org