Join the Immediate Impact Team!
The Immediate Impact Team is designed to help Democrats win up and down the ballot by offering flexible volunteer opportunities you can participate in from anywhere in the country.
Join our online Slack community to stay connected to high-priority, virtual campaign volunteer opportunities.
Join us on Slack
Immediate Impact Phone Banks
Every Tuesday at 6pm ET
New to phone banking? Don't worry! Before we start calling, we'll offer a phone bank training in Zoom with a team of organizers and support specialists ready to answer your questions.
Slack is our virtual field office, where the bulk of our Swing Left Immediate Impact Team communication will happen. On Slack, you’ll find opportunities for action, training, resources, friendly volunteers ready to help, and opportunities to deepen your engagement.
New to Slack? Check out this guide to get started.
Channels are subsections of Slack, divided by topic where we communicate with each other and share updates. In our Slack workspace, we have three types of channels: working channels, informational channels, and fun channels.
When you join Slack, you’ll be automatically added to certain information channels:
- #announcements: Important programmatic information that is open to everyone in the Immediate Impact Team. Only Swing Left staff and team leads can post in this channel.
- #help: If you have a question, here’s the place to get an answer! This channel is staffed by Swing Left’s External Response Team, and we’ll get an answer to your question within 24 business hours.
- #resources: Here you’ll find a handy list of resources that Swing Left staff will keep updated. In order to keep this list of resources easy to find, please do not post in this channel. If you need resources that aren’t listed here, post in #help.
Working channels: All of our working channels have a “team guide” pinned at the top of the channel. This guide explains the specialized purpose of the team, its roles, and workflow. It will contain team norms and expectations, as well as resources such as, scripts, guides, Mobilize events, and any other information you’ll need to get started. All working channels are run by a Distributed Organizing Coordinator (check out the team section below for more information) and volunteer moderators.
- #team-phone-banking: This channel has everything you need to start phone banking with Swing Left’s Immediate Impact Team. Whether you are brand new to phone banking, or an experienced phone banker looking for ways to put your skills to use—you’ll find a home here. This team is just getting started, but working their way up to hosting multiple phone banks a week for Swing Left’s targeted campaigns.
- #team-letter-writing: This channel has everything you need to start writing letters via Swing Left’s affiliated organization, Vote Forward.
- #team-relational-organizing: This channel has everything you need to start engaging your friends and networks with Swing Left’s Immediate Impact Team. This team is just getting started on hosting weekly friend banks, but you can get set up with Swing Left’s Reach campaign at any time—check out the team guide.
In addition to our community guidelines, here are a few helpful notes on how we use our workspace. Help build our Slack community into a cultural hub of volunteer fun!
- @here immediately notifies the active members of a channel, but won’t notify people who are away or have snoozed notifications. We try to use @here sparingly and only for urgent purposes.
- When responding to a question in a channel, we try to ‘thread’ to a specific message. This is good when you want to minimize channel clutter but allow others to hop into the conversation thread.
Join us on Slack
Questions about the Immediate Impact Team? Email [email protected].